BeautyMania.biz®'s ENTERTAINMENT PARADISE
Welcome to ENTERTAINMENT PARADISE! There are already existing topics inside, to view and participate the online forum, you must register first and create an account.

Enjoy your stay!! Please spread the news!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to ENTERTAINMENT PARADISE! There are already existing topics inside, to view and participate the online forum, you must register first and create an account.

Enjoy your stay!! Please spread the news!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Risks From Skin Whitening Creams

5 posters

Go down

Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Empty Risks From Skin Whitening Creams

Post by Ray Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Popup1

Creams Offering Lighter Skin May Bring Risks

For years, Allison Ross rubbed in skin-lightening creams with names like Hyprogel and Fair & White. She said she wanted to even out and brighten the tone of her face, neck and hands. Mrs. Ross, 45, who lives in Brooklyn, also said that she used the lightening creams “to be more accepted in society.”

After months of twice-a-day applications, her skin was not only fairer, it had become so thin that a touch would bruise her face. Her capillaries became visible, and she developed stubborn acne. A doctor told her that all three were side effects of prescription-strength steroids in some of the creams, which she had bought over the counter in beauty supply stores.

“I never read the labels,” Mrs. Ross said. Instead, she took her cues from friends, many of them, like her, from the West Indies. “Once somebody told me Fair & White was the one they were using, I’d go to the Korean store and ask for it,” she said.

Dermatologists nationwide are seeing women of Hispanic and African descent, among others, with severe side effects like Mrs. Ross’s from the misuse of skin-lightening creams, many with prescription-strength ingredients, which are sold in beauty shops and bodegas and online.

Hyprogel, made in Germany, contains the powerful steroid clobetasol propionate and includes a warning to use only as directed by a doctor. Fair & White, from France, normally contains no steroids, but counterfeit versions with undisclosed ingredients have turned up in stores.

No major studies have focused on the use of such creams in this country. But dermatologists with practices that cater to darker-skinned women say adverse effects are on the rise. Ethnic beauty supply stores, where clerks often shrug at selling prescription creams over the counter, report that sales are strong.

Dr. Erin Gilbert, a chief resident in dermatology at the State University of New York Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn, said that she or a colleague saw a case of severe side effects from skin-lightening creams at least once a week. Dr. Gilbert attributed the frequency, which she called surprising, to the fact that the hospital served an “amazingly international cross section of women of color.”

Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Popupr
Sammy Sosa, the former baseball slugger, in 2007, left, and 2009. He said a cream to “soften” his skin had bleached it, too.

Users are not necessarily immigrants, said Dr. Eliot F. Battle Jr., who has a dermatology practice in Washington, where he treats side effects from lightening creams “not only containing corticosteroids, but mercury,” a poison that can damage the nervous system. The patients are “Ph.D.’s to women from corporate America, teachers to engineers — the entire broad spectrum of women of color,” Dr. Battle said.

For years misuse was on the decline, Dr. Battle said, but now “it’s happening more because the Internet has been a great source for these patients to get physician-strength or prescription-strength products.”

Some users are seeking to lighten dark spots caused by acne or brown patches known as melasma, which are triggered by pregnancy, menopause or birth control pills.

But many others seek to lighten their entire face or large swatches of their body, a practice common in developing countries as disparate as Senegal, India and the Philippines, where it is promoted as a way to elevate one’s social standing. A small percentage of men in such countries also use the creams.

In November, some fans of Sammy Sosa, the former Chicago Cubs slugger, were surprised when photographs from the Latin Grammy Awards ceremony showed his face as uniformly lighter. Online critics accused him of wanting to be white. Mr. Sosa, a Dominican-born American citizen, told a reporter from ESPNDeportes.com that he had used a cream nightly to “soften” his skin and that it had bleached it, too. “I’m not a racist,” he said in the interview. “I live my life happily.”

Evelyn Nakano Glenn, a professor of gender and women’s studies at the University of California, Berkeley, said it was wrong to assume that skin-lightening was a cultural anachronism or an effort to negate one’s racial heritage.

“In fact, it’s a growing practice and one that has been stimulated by the companies that produce these products,” she said. “Their advertisements connect happiness and success and romance with being lighter skinned.”

Moreover, it is not as if dark-skinned women are imagining a bias, said Dr. Glenn, who is president of the American Sociological Association. “Sociological studies have shown among African-Americans and also Latinos, there’s a clear connection between skin color and socioeconomic status. It’s not some fantasy. There is prejudice against dark-skinned people, especially women in the so-called marriage market.”

There was an echo of the issue recently in comments by the Senate majority leader, Harry Reid, Democrat of Nevada, as reported in a new book, that he had urged Barack Obama to run for president because the country was ready to accept a “light skinned” African-American.

source: OPMB
Ray
Ray
EP Reporter
EP Reporter

Location Location : Philippines

Back to top Go down

Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Empty Re: Risks From Skin Whitening Creams

Post by Desi Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13 pm

This Dominican Big Leagues baseball player, 41 years old Sammy Sosa, should've stayed with the color that GOD gave him.... Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_eek Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_eek Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_eek Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_pale
And not only that, he is also wearing now green contact lenses, I guess he's not happy with his appearance.... Risks From Skin Whitening Creams 568180 Risks From Skin Whitening Creams 372146
Desi
Desi
EP Dean
EP Dean

Location Location : New York/Puerto Rico

Back to top Go down

Post by bonner Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:51 am

wow..super effective
bonner
bonner
Royal Member- AMBASSADOR OF PHILIPPINES
Royal Member- AMBASSADOR OF PHILIPPINES

Location Location : philippines

Back to top Go down

Post by sayonako Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Desi wrote:This Dominican Big Leagues baseball player, 41 years old Sammy Sosa, should've stayed with the color that GOD gave him.... Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_eek Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_eek Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_eek Risks From Skin Whitening Creams Icon_pale
And not only that, he is also wearing now green contact lenses, I guess he's not happy with his appearance.... Risks From Skin Whitening Creams 568180 Risks From Skin Whitening Creams 372146

yeah i think so... Smile
sayonako
sayonako

Location Location : Clark Pampanga

Back to top Go down

Post by Phouston Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:13 am

Skin bleaching is really damaging your skin, Sammy Sosa doesn't look fit and healthy with his light skin. I am using a lightening cream also to even out my skin tone and to reduce dark spots on my face, Neucell Skin Lightener is so much safe than using bleaching creams to whiten out the skin. Neucell has natural ingredients that protects and nourishes the skin that you'll look more beautiful.

Phouston

Location Location : united states

Back to top Go down

Post by Desi Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Phouston wrote:Skin bleaching is really damaging your skin, Sammy Sosa doesn't look fit and healthy with his light skin. I am using a lightening cream also to even out my skin tone and to reduce dark spots on my face, Neucell Skin Lightener is so much safe than using bleaching creams to whiten out the skin. Neucell has natural ingredients that protects and nourishes the skin that you'll look more beautiful.
Thank you very much for this information and WELCOME to the Forum. Very Happy
Desi
Desi
EP Dean
EP Dean

Location Location : New York/Puerto Rico

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: